Large or small, organizations that are not investing in the way they manage their data and not moving into the technological future, may become an organization of the past. Here are three tips to manage your data effectively and securely:
1. Focus on the Information, rather than the device or data center
When implementing a new information system or updating a current system, focus on building an information infrastructure that optimizes the way you find, access and maintain critical business information. Think about how users can collaborate better and how automation, reporting tools and mobile applications can help get the best out of your data.
2. Safeguard your business with data encryption
Security is paramount – and one of the primary steps toward security is encryption. Encryption scrambles text to make it unreadable by anyone other than those with the keys to decode it. According to the National Cyber Security Alliance ‘50% of targeted cyber-attacks are directed at companies with fewer than 2,500 employees.’
- 69% of organizations lost important business information due to human error, hardware failure, software failure and lost or stolen mobile devices
- 69% of organizations exposed confidential information
- 31% of organizations had compliance failures
3. Educate your employees
Train your employees so that data can be used securely and effectively. Providing training will have a positive impact on your bottom line. Data that is used effectively can help cut costs or can be used to bring in new revenues. It is important that employees know how, why and when to access this data so that it is being used effectively.